Saturday, October 20, 2012

"For Today" - October 20, 2012

At every OA meeting, we have a reading of some sort.  I usually copy and paste them into a document to remember later on, but often wish I could share them with someone... anyone!  haha.  And I realized today that I could share the readings I really like here.  :)  So, this was the reading from this morning's meeting.  I really liked it because, although I have lost weight in OA, its really not the main benefit I've received & this is a good reminder of that and of how life was before.

----------------------------------------------------------------
October 20th, 2012

~FOR TODAY~
 Patience is a bitter plant, but it has sweet fruit.  ~German proverb~ 

Waiting is one of the worst things to ask of a compulsive overeater.  If I don't see results immediately, I get discouraged. 
In the days when I fought one obsession with another, I dieted compulsively and jumped on the scale compulsively.  I could put up with any discomfort, any deprivation--  for varying lengths of time-- as long as I did not have to suffer a "plateau;" to diet and lose no weight was intolerable.  Clearly, when something is intolerable, it is abandoned-- and so went every reducing scheme I ever tried. 

Thank God I am not here to diet and lose weight. 
For today: 

I am in OA to turn my life around-- and I'm willing to wait.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Mmmm, well said. That is some big thinking