So, after finishing up that post yesterday (which was really mostly written in August)... I got to thinking about how the me that wrote that post and the me now aren't really the same... I mean, I still love OA and all that, but I was just all crazy with excitment and energy and wanting to TELL! EVERYONE! ABOUT IT!!! Now, I know that I DID post the thing on facebook yesterday about being 3 months sugar free, but I honestly didn't expect it to draw that much interest in comments/likes. I was just kinda happy about making it 3 months.
I guess what I'm saying is that overall, I'm just feeling much more relaxed and ZEN about everything these days. I don't really go around preaching to people about OA - not really. I usually don't necessarily even mention it, actually. So, I hope that I'm not coming across as trying to convert y'all or anything. Just sharing what the good thing was that happened to me.
At OA meetings, as with AA meetings and other 12 step meetings, we start with the Serenity Prayer. I didn't used to love it or even get it. But it has been steadily growing on me, to that point that it has almost become like a mantra or something for me.
Here is what it says:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen
I have really been learning in OA, through the meetings and readings and stuff to not try to control others or my surroundings quite so much. To just be peaceful and... well, serene. And I am loving this new-found aspect of my personality. I have never felt quite so - happy or ... calm about my life. I still do have stresses and worries, but I am feeling so much more able to handle them calmly as they come my way. To breathe, and say to myself that whatever this stress is isn't worth eating over, and isn't worth throwing off my peace (or serenity).
Man, I'm sounding like some sorty of hippy or something, lol. But that is how I've been feeling lately. Just wanted to share that - or get it in writing here for my own future reference, anyway.
Thanks.
1 comment:
I'm going to try comment again.
I can't quite remember what I said yesterday, but the gist was... I'm proud of you and am glad you're getting so much out of it.
And then I said something like, I may be joining you... because I like the online option. But I haven't decided for sure yet.
I've always loved the serenity prayer and I think I should focus on it more.
Okay... let's see if it sticks this time.
Post a Comment